Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, December 29, 2011

South Georgia Pecans: Pretty Awful

For the Christmas Eve Eve Eve meal, I had to have sweet potato casserole, and the version I make in the slow-cooker has a nice sweet pecan topping. To get that, it takes three-fourths cup of pecan pieces.

On the Tuesday before, when I went to Sam's Club to shop for the week's needs, I grabbed a 2-pound bag of "fancy pecan halves" from the South Georgia Pecan Company. That's the brand that my local Sam's Club is now carrying. They are reportedly "guarenteed [sic] fresh and top quality." I found an abundance of stale and dried-out halves in my bag, though, just two days after purchasing it.


I was so moved with frustration I signed up on the samsclub.com website just so I could leave a critical review, which is reposted below.

Review on SamsClub.com:
This is one of my frustrations in trying to buy certain items in bulk in order to save money and to keep ample staple goods on hand: I give in to the temptation to buy items like pecans at Sam's Club even though time and time again I throw out as much or more than I use.
But it's not because I'm overbuying product and can't get around to using it. It's because even when freshly opened right after purchase, more of these pecans are stale, dried up, or beginning to decay, than are good for use in recipes.
I purchased a 2-pound bag of South Georgia Pecans on Tuesday, and on Thursday I made sweet potato casserole, which calls for 3/4 cup of pecan pieces for the topping. In order to get 3/4 cup of usable pecan pieces, I discarded nearly 1-1/2 cups of bad pecans. Now the bag is nearly half empty, and I have a huge pile of stale or rotten pecans that will make the yard squirrels happy.
But I'm not at all happy.
As one of the reviewers noted: If these are "No. 1," I'd hate to see "No. 2."
I've decided that "No. 1" refers to how many stars anyone might ever give to these lousy pecans.
No. 1=ONE star=POOR quality product, a waste of money, and a huge disappointment.

No comments: