Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Meal No. 408: Wok Stir-Fry

It's the holidays, and that can sometimes mean that the Roediger House gets visits from people who have moved on from Winston-Salem. On this particular evening, such a visitor was the incomparable Brian Hill, who went through the English education masters program at Wake Forest University the year before I left there.


The old and the new mixed together, because current WFU grad student and Roediger House regular Ben Phillis also joined in for the evening's events.

On the menu for this good night was the rare appearance of a starter item...in this case, a hot bowl of miso-tofu soup:


Never made this before, but it turned out to be very tasty.

Next up: the main course...cubes of beef tenderloin in a home-made Asian marinade over fried rice with stir-fry vegetables (asparagus, mushroom, onion, red and yellow bell peppers) in a garlic sauce.


Now, since Brian is one of them there vegetarians, I separated things out and fixed his up with cubes of tofu (that's a first in the Roediger House, let me tell you!) in that same Asian marinade. I was perfectly happy to have more beef for myself.

Monday Update: A final word about the evening: not sure whose idea it was (probably mine), but we broke out some Brooklyn Brewery Local One. This delicious beer is usually saved for special occasions, and this counted as one. But I'd not eaten during the day and that first glass (this brew has a considerably higher alcohol content than regular beers) hit me uncharacteristically quickly. By night's end, four of those rascals and a few assorted other beers were knocked back, and the time and manner that I made it to bed are a bit hazy.

That left me running a bit ragged as I started out my day on Monday. But hey: no regrets at all. The boys and I had ourselves a good time, a good visit, and definitely a good meal.

No comments: