Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Stinkbug Invasion Is Imminent

In the words of the classic 1960s tune: "People Get Ready."


In the next year or so, we in North Carolina had best brace ourselves for the invasion that is coming: the stinkbug. We have already seen a few here and there but those are the scouts and wanderers. I've seen a few clinging to the screens on the outside of the house, but that's not where these rascals really like to be. They insist upon coming on inside the house, whether you invite 'em or not. So far, I've found probably five dead ones (I've got pretty good pest control) and maybe one live one inside.


This here is one of the dead ones.

Last fall, when I spent a week working in Nelson County, Virginia, and staying in Lovingston at a bed and breakfast, they were under full invasion. The old manor house was completely covered with them and there was no way to keep them out. In the few days I was there, I trapped and disposed of 23 stinkbugs just in my room. I really dread their spread further south.

No comments: