Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Meal No. 186: Sunday Roast Beef Feast

By special request, this evening was a true Sunday roast beef meal, although instead of the noontime gathering of family it was a 10 pm convergence of good friends. I think I could get used to a meal this late at night, if only because it made preparation seem so much easier and casual. I even decided to make yeast rolls, although I got such a head-start on them they ended up collapsing on themselves because I let them rise too long.

Anyway, here's a shot of the beef roast, a top round that was on special at the Harris Teeter. It's not my favorite cut of meat, and I found it tough. And of course I managed to overcook it.



I went ahead and prepped a demi-glace marsala wine sauce to go with it.



Since there were to be five in attendance for the meal, I reached for the bulk bag of baby lima beans, and they were a lovely shade of green when I dumped them out into the pan:



The other side dish was a spot-on recipe for potatoes au gratin in the slow cooker, that I've done once before.



While I usually enjoy beer with most of the meals I make here at the house, this evening called for the substantive shiraz pictured alongside.

No comments: