Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Squawk About the Hawk

So, you already know that I dig having birds around the house, what with all the feeders I've got hanging up and mounted. Which makes the yard look like a huge birdie buffet sometimes, to the sharp eyes of a common hawk. And I love that little touch of the great wild coming to put on its show right on my little downtown quarter acre in Winston-Salem.


Not so long ago, I was enjoying reading by the fireside in the kitchen area when I was jolted by the sound of something slamming into one of the eating nook/bay windows. This has happened a few times: the hawk spots a suitable bird to prey on but dives for it without realizing he's got a slab of glass and window screen coming up short on him.


But it let me know he was there, and I enjoyed watching him perch on the new ornamental fence after his crash, perhaps to collect his wits and thoughts. I grabbed the camera in hopes I could get a good shot.


When he flew up over the house, I went out to the parking area to see if I could spot more action, and looked up to see him sitting on the peak of the roof.


Then he took up temporary residence in one of the backyard trees where he had a good view of my littler friends' activity 'round the feeders, but he eventually flew off in another direction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

David's dad had a place in McCall, ID that he had built with enormous windows. They had everything from hawks to eagles fly into the windows and scare the bejeebus out of everyone inside. One time, a hawk left the imprint of its splayed body on the window.