Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Homemade Soft Pretzels


Back on Saturday, April 4th, the first slip I drew from my quarantine task jar was a very old item on my long-running house to-do list. I've wanted to look in the attic space behind the third floor bar and cabinets to see what my options were for insulating them. In the summer, you can really feel the heat because it's just plywood between the interior of the bar cabinets and the attic on that side of the back of the house (which gets lots of southern and western sunshine).

Alas, because of the way I'd asked the general contractor to expand the size of the cabinets into that attic space, it's not necessarily an easy fix...or not as easy as I'd hoped. It's the first task I've drawn from the task jar that had to be put aside instead of promptly tackled.


So I drew another one, and it was once again one of my "for fun" slips instead of something useful and important: "Make Pretzels." I've never made them, I had collected quite a few recipes on them after trying a hot fresh soft pretzel at a gathering of colleagues in Greensboro back in 2016, and I'd even ordered some pretzel salt a while back. So this was my incentive to settle on the recipe that would guide me, to make the yeast dough, to roll by hand and shape the pretzels, to boil them in water and baking soda, to brush an egg wash on them so that the pretzel salt would adhere and so they'd brown better...and then bake 'em up. With a whole grain mustard sauce to dip the warm pretzels in, it was quite a treat. (And it took the place of dinner that night, too.)




"Homemade Soft Pretzels," from Michelle of the BrownEyedBaker.com blog. [Published 05 August 2019]

"The Only Mustard Sauce Recipe You Will Ever Need," from Paul Harrison on FoodRepublic.com. [Published 13 May 2015]

No comments: