Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, November 1, 2015

WSSU Homecoming Parade 2015

Situated just south of the intersection of West Fourth Street and North Spring Street, the Roediger House often finds itself in the middle or on the path of various events centered downtown here in Winston-Salem. Over the last 12 years, I've really enjoyed having a front-row seat for parades and 5K races and cycling events and so on.

The Komen Race for the Cure, the Winston-Salem Criterium cycling race, the Jaycees Christmas Parade, the Veteran's Day Parade, the semi-regular Cycling Sunday Funday, the Winston-Salem Pride Parade, and the Winston-Salem State University Homecoming Parade...they either staged in front of the house or they passed by here on the route.

Closed Street
(but no action!)

But the times, they are a-changing. Whereas I used to look down on the mayor in his convertible from my front porch, while the Christmas parade was being staged, it seems that things have shifted a bit to the east. My street might still be closed off, but it's no longer the heart of the activity. That was the case yesterday for the Winston-Salem State University Homecoming Parade. This year I wasn't even able to hear the marching bands warming up.

This is on 4th Street, around the corner from the house.

I'm guessing a couple of key factors might have caused the shift: the new office building, 751 West Fourth, was constructed on a large paved parking lot that was useful for staging and parking, and the Wake Forest Innovation Quarter has continued to grow and serves to shift the center of activity a little more eastward.

I'll miss my free porch-gallery entertainment and spectacle that were previously available to me without having to leave the comfort of the house or my warm mug of coffee. I wonder, though, if it might lead to fewer street closures...?

No comments: