Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cycling Day Closes Spring Street

Now really: this is kind of ridiculous. For the second day in a row this weekend, Spring Street is getting closed off. This time, it is for a "Cycling Sunday" event, which creates a safe traffic-free zone of streets in downtown so that folks can come do some biking, scootering, skating, roller-blading, and so on.

Listen: I love the idea, and as I sat on the front porch drinking coffee this afternoon, watching parents and kids go riding happily by, I was delighted that someone thought to create this opportunity. And I was also really pleased that there was a reasonable effort to notify residents that this would be happening: there was a hang-tag on my front door with notice of the street closing, and there was also coverage of it in the paper a couple of days ago. So this way I knew to go out early today to do my grocery shopping and that I would not be able to get out and about until late afternoon.

It looked like there was pretty good attendance and participation, too, all things considered.

I do remain curious about the approval process for closing off streets, especially since this was the second day in a row when Spring Street was closed off. I don't think that shows a lot of consideration for residents. But, like I said, I am glad that advanced notice was given...and that doesn't always happen. In fact, it usually doesn't happen. Guess I'll have to see if there's more to be learned about that from checking in with the City.

No comments: