Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, May 5, 2012

2012 Komen Race for the Cure

This morning, Spring Street was once again a key element of the route for the 2012 Komen Triad NC Race for the Cure. And this year, I had something other than me sitting out front to show that I'm a supporter:


I have a suspicion that the terrible controversy that broke out in mid-winter over the Komen Foundation cutting funding for Planned Parenthood impacted participation just a bit this year, although I do not know what the official numbers are for 2012. I do know that a number of my friends who were very much a part of this in years past were not in the race or walk this go round.

Quick Update: Just checked local news sites, and found a report from earlier in the week that suggests that the numbers this year are around 6,000; in 2011, it was over 10,000 participants. That's pretty dramatic.

However, there was still a huge turnout. Cyprus and I enjoyed sitting out front watching them go by until the heat in the direct sunlight started to wear on both of us. Plus: I had more yardwork to get to.




Previous Komen Race entries: 2010, 2011.

No comments: