Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Meal No. 1372: Lamb and Mushroom Meatloaf


It's another birthday for this old man, and as I've demonstrated in the past, one way I like to celebrate it is to make a good meal and have dear friends come and share it with me. That was this evening's affair, and it was a delight.

On my flight home from Los Angeles Saturday, I had the rare pleasure of interesting seatmates in the guise of a couple named Colby and Crystal. Our conversation filled nearly the entirety of the four-hour flight to Charlotte, and it included comparing notes on kitchen endeavors. Since Colby is originally from McDowell County, just east of Asheville, he was familiar with the Tupelo Honey Cafe, but he'd not yet come across the cookbook that has so many great recipes.

Anyway, I guess that's what gave me the hankering to make one of my favorites from Tupelo Honey: lamb and multi-mushroom meatloaf, along with their take on smashed sweet potatoes. The crew on hand tonight has made quite well known their fondness for the layered green bean casserole dish, so that's what rounded out these lovely plates (which were my Mother's fine china):




"Lamb and Multi-Mushroom Meat Loaf" (p. 150) and "Smashed Sweet Potatoes" (p. 128), in Tupelo Honey Cafe: Spirited Recipes from Asheville's New South Kitchen, by Elizabeth Sims with Chef Brian Sonoskus. Kansas City: Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC, 2011.

"Layered Green Bean Casserole," from my sister Allison in Rossville, Indiana.

No comments: