Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Nomination for Preserve Historic Forsyth Award

A couple of months ago, I was pleased to learn that the renovation work on the Roediger House had caught the attention of people associated with Preserve Historic Forsyth, and the house was nominated for their 2011 round of awards. Last night was the reception, keynote speaker, and awards ceremony down at Salem College, so I delayed my departure to Richmond County, NC, so that I could attend.

The Roediger House was one of four renovation projects in the Residential - Large Scale category. The ultimate winner was the 1873 Shaffner House, which is located in Old Salem proper. The couple who won has been at it for 17 years, and I think winning this designation is a fine reward for them for that long and sustained effort to make a beautiful home.

And I'm certainly happy that my own house had been taken note of and put forward in the competition. I suspect my UNC college chum Steve Zorn had a lot to do with it, and I'm grateful to him for suggesting they consider the Roediger House.

When I really do get this renovation project finished (and I hope it doesn't take 17 years!), maybe it will seem appropriate to have the house entered in a future competition. We'll see.

No comments: