Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Hawk's Dinner

Back on September 11, I looked up from my chair by the kitchen fireside in time to see the local hawk had landed on the back wall just outside the kitchen bay windows. I grabbed the camera and snapped this picture through the glass door. He flew off before I could head outside to try to get better shots. But you regular readers know how giddy I get over the hawk and his machinations.

It's not that I do not love my birds that are attracted to the feeders around the house. The hawk, though, tends to put on a much better show than they do.

Cyprus and I were just headed out for a walk on a recent Saturday and it coincided with catching sight of the friendly neighborhood hawk swooping up out of the yard with what appeared to be a mourning dove in his talons. I love this, because it always thrills me to see the hawk in action, and I hate mourning doves.

As Cyprus and I were circling back home, we spotted where the hawk had taken his meal: behind my neighbor Adam's house, which is across the street from the Roediger House. I dropped Cyprus off and grabbed the telephoto for my camera and went back in hopes of capturing a shot or two.




Which I did, until a resident of (or visitor to) the house nearby drove up and scared the hawk away. He flew with dinner in hand/claw, though.

Update: A few days after this, looking out the kitchen bay windows, I caught sight of the hawk crashing into another mourning dove, with a burst and flurry of feathers. This occurred in the gravel parking lot on the north side of the house. It scooped up its meal and flew off pretty quickly.

No comments: