Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, January 17, 2009

A King's Ransom for a Pauper's Cupboard


Here's a rendering from one of my kitchen designers to help begin to get a sense of how the cabinetry might look. This is the view looking into the southeast corner of the kitchen, so the doorway into it is at the left beside the wall oven(s), and the exit to the back hallway is to the far right, beside the refrigerator.

Anyone tried to price decent cabinets for an over-sized kitchen? When I got the first quote from a kitchen designer for JUST the cabinets--delivered and not installed--she only got to utter the first two digits of that grand, five-digit number before I laughed a bit too heartily. I mean: no countertops, no hardware, no frills: just cabinets and drawers. Let's just put it this way: it was more than my last year of salary from Wake Forest.

This meant back to the drawing board and a speedy scouting for other more manageable bids. I also have to reconcile myself to the fact it's not going to come cheap, regardless. As I put it to one of the designers, I'm having to find the right balance between what is do-able and, for this kind of house, what must be done.

It'll work out...it's just another place that the money is rather scary!

1 comment:

JohnL said...

Those cabinets and windows just suck the bucks.