Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, February 13, 2020

Mid-Winter Sampling of Cookies


In the last couple of days of January, I put my mind to baking up cookies, as though I needed any more sweets to be smitten by. On that final Thursday, I made a batch of white chocolate and milk chocolate toffee cookies, adapted from my frequently-used white chocolate macadamia nut cookie recipe. They were perfectly decent, if not run-of-the-mill, but hot out of the oven they were still mighty tempting.


Then, on Friday January 31st, I had a bit of time mid-day to whip up another new recipe for cookies: lemon sugar cookies. Well, I didn't coat 'em with sugar so maybe they're technically just lemon cookies. But they were lemony great and ought to be put into the regular baking rotation.


Then came my first batch of cookies in February, made back on that first Wednesday of the month. I pretty regularly feel good about my cookies. I don't make grand claims about being a creator of them; I just follow the recipes and use experience to make minor adjustments here and there. As it happens, I tried out a new recipe for Bailey's Irish Cream chocolate chip cookies that just proved a bit frustrating. I mean, the cookies themselves were good but boy were they flat, greasy, fragile, and almost unpleasantly chewy. The recipe author did me right previously, with browned butter white chocolate chip toffee cookies, that I made a couple of times in quick succession. But I'm going to have to really rework this recipe if they're to turn out presentable enough to share.



White Chocolate and Milk Chocolate Toffee Cookies, based on "Premier White Chocolate and Macadamia Pieces Cookies," from Hershey's Mauna Loa. Found online at https://www.maunaloa.com/recipes/premier-white-chips-and-macadamia-pieces-cookies/.

"Lemon Sugar Cookies," from Melissa Stadler of ModernHoney.com. [Published 21 March 2016]

"Bailey's Irish Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies," by Ashley Manila of BakerByNature.com. [Published 07 December 2019]

No comments: