Search RoHo Blog

Friday, August 3, 2012

Rockin' the RoHo Red Velvet Cake

This is my third attempt at a red velvet cake in the Roediger House. The previous versions left something to be desired. The first was made using the recipe on the back of the Southern Biscuit flour, and it was just dry and bland. The second attempt was back in February, using the same recipe featured in this blog post (and noted at the bottom). But on that February occasion, I did it as a round layer cake with a poorly chosen cream cheese frosting recipe.


The version I made for the recent visit of the Randolph clan, though, was right on the money. I followed the authors' recommendations for most of it, including baking it in two 8-inch square cake pans and trimmed away all the crusts.


I'm new to this slicing layers thing, and my aim was a little off, so the cake leaned a bit once I assembled it. I thought when I was frosting it that my layers of icing were too thick, but there didn't seem to be any disappointment 'round the table at dessert time. I was pleased when Jay and Hunter went back for second slices, and I was happy the Randolphs were willing to take a hunk of cake home with them when the evening concluded.




"Grand Finale Dessert: Red Velvet Cake," from Cuisine at Home, Issue 90 (December 2011), p. 48-51. This recipe has also been posted online.

No comments: