Search RoHo Blog

Monday, March 7, 2011

Meal No. 234: Peanut Butter Bacon Burgers (Again!)

Even though it's only been a week, the lingering and persistent taste of flavoriciousness from my last peanut butter bacon burgers kept tapping me on the shoulder and urging me to return again to the altar of swell grub. So Monday afternoon I dove head-first into this monstrous concoction that earns extreme reactions from those subjected to my retellings of it (people recoil in horror, or drop hints that they wish they'd been invited to partake).


The grinding works better if the meat has been chilled to a light hardness in the freezer for about 25 minutes.


I have to do the grinding in two batches, and I've learned to make sure I'm mixing the sirloin tip and the beef short rib meat each time.


The key, supposedly, is not to do too much mashing and shaping of the burgers: you just gently push the pieces up next to each other enough to get sufficient adherence.


The recipe I work from espouses a belief that sufficient flavor comes from the salting and fresh ground peppering on the exterior, but I'm glad I started adding garlic powder and onion powder to the meat when I'm grinding it: the flavor really comes alive then.


Good gracious, they sound almost as delicious as they smell when those burgers are cooking.


Here's the fixin' station with the goodies to be added: bacon, classic burger sauce, peanut butter, buttered-toasted buns.


It's best if the freshly-homemade peanut butter gets slathered on a wee bit thick.


If you'd been able to come by for this scrumptious and ridiculous meal, I'd've even served it up to you in an official burger basket, complete with a diner-like liner to catch the egregious drippings.


Each time has been pretty darned good, going all the way back to last November when I did these the first time, and also a week ago when I returned to it. But this evening the burger was exceptionally good.

2 comments:

Brad said...

These. Look. SO. Good.

Ray said...

These. Were. SO. Good.