Search RoHo Blog

Friday, March 18, 2011

Doubletree-Style Cookies

Anyone who has stayed at a DoubleTree Hotel should be familiar with their delightful and notable feature of a hot chocolate chip cookie, offered to you upon check-in. Back in the late 1990s, when I was a PhD student, I began teaching courses for the University of Virginia. This included several sections a semester up at UVA's Falls Church center. I guess times were more flush then, because my accommodations were always the DoubleTree Hotel in Tyson's Corner, and I developed a small addiction to those delicious cookies.

I do love the internet, though, in part because a lot of people not only enjoy the challenge of replicating restaurant and food-maker recipes, but they actually can get quite close...and they publish them for the joy and benefit of us all. My friend and colleague Janet G. was kind enough to think of me and my cookie-making ways, and she passed on a version of the DoubleTree cookie recipe that she'd received via email, and subsequently sampled and tinkered with. I carved out some time last Sunday and Monday to put the recipe to my own test, and here are the cookies I was then able to bring with me to Frederick County, VA, to share with those with whom I'm working this week.





See the Roediger House blog post for March 22, 2016, to link to a pretty good recipe for these.

UPDATE: On 09 April 2020, DoubleTree by Hilton published their "official" recipe for their signature cookies, in the midst of the raging coronavirus pandemic. I see that the copycat version I've been using for years is pretty much on target. See the following link: https://newsroom.hilton.com/doubletree/news/doubletree-reveals-cookie-recipe.

No comments: