Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, November 29, 2020

Meal No. 2723: A Quiet and Simple Thanksgiving

I posted a lengthy reflective commentary on Thanksgiving Day itself, but because I'm behind a couple of days on posts, it is only now that we're getting to what the meal was here that day. With no guests in attendance, I cut down on the number of side dishes and just made the usual favorites of cornbread stuffing with bacon and apples, sweet potato casserole, and layered green bean casserole. I took the rare step of roasting a whole turkey, this time in a bag, and it was moist and well-cooked but certainly not special. Some turkey gravy I threw together helped bring it around!



"How to Make Turkey in a Bag," by Meghan Splawn of TheKitchn.com. [Updated 24 October 2020] 

"Layered Green Bean Casserole," from my sister Allison in Rossville, Indiana.

"Cornbread Stuffing with Apples and Bacon," from David Venable. Found online.

"Sweet Potato Casserole," by Ella Rae Roberts of Hendersonville, NC. Published in Foundation Family Favorites. Cary, NC: North Carolina Baptist Foundation (1993), p. 204.

No comments: