Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Taste of the Ozarks Homemade Salsa


A set of dear friends earns mention here on the blog from time to time because of the many recipes I've gotten from them or because of meals of theirs that inspired action on my part: Cindy and Harley, who now live in Athens, Tennessee. I regularly stayed with them when I was working up in the Shenandoah Valley so we shared a lot of food and good times together. I definitely miss seeing them regularly. One of the recipes I got from Cindy (15 years ago!!) has been on the back burner for me, because I didn't want to try to make it until I had a good collection of homegrown tomatoes to use for it. It was labeled "Taste of the Ozarks Homemade Salsa" and came from Doug Legge. Cindy had a jar or two of it on one of my visits to Winchester and I had to have the recipe for myself!


And it did not disappoint. That right there is some fine homemade salsa. I don't plan to can it, as that's not my thing. But I did flash-boil the tomatoes so I could peel them easily, and I really sank some time into putting it all together. Is it better than store-bought? I'd say so, but maybe that's just the sweat talking.



"Taste of the Ozarks Homemade Salsa," from Doug Legge and passed on to me by Cindy Coulson [22 October 2003].

No comments: