Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Double the Goldfinches While the Rat Sat


I guess I didn't know how attractive black-eyed Susans are to goldfinches, because the new ones I planted on the steep slope along the back property line have proven to be quite a draw. I've enjoyed watching my regular goldfinch couple there, even though they are abusing the flowerheads mightily! It was twice the treat a few days ago to spy two males, each working on his own stem, while the rat that's taken up residence near the spilled birdseed source happily munched below.


As I mentioned not long ago, I've been pleased also to finally have some hummingbird action. So far this summer, I've only seen a single one flitting around, and I'm glad she finally found her way to my window feeder.


Speaking of seeing double, you might imagine that I was also quite pleased to see a ruby-throated male jockeying for position with her at that same feeder recently.


No comments: