Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Meal No. 1194: Chicken in Phyllo

When I lived in Winston-Salem in the late 1980s, it was a special treat to eat at the local favorite Ryan's Steaks, Chops, and Seafood restaurant, tucked away behind bland offices on Coliseum Drive. One of my favorite menu items back then was chicken in phyllo. I don't remember much about it, except that I liked it a lot.

Here we are, 25 years later, and it's still a great restaurant. It's a special occasion place for me, such as celebrating on the night that I closed on the Roediger House and took possession of it. But chicken in phyllo is no longer on the menu there. So I'm left to try to find a suitable substitute I can make myself at home. Hence, last night's trial: chicken in phyllo.


I have no idea if this is anywhere close to what Ryan's had long ago. But this dish should repeat here at the Roediger House, because it was mighty fine.



"Chicken Breasts in Phyllo," by tranch. Posted to food.com on 07 September 1999.

"DIY Cooking Creme," from Joy in My Kitchen, 25 May 2011.

No comments: