Search RoHo Blog

Friday, October 21, 2011

Encountering a Baby Squirrel


Cyprus and I went out for a good long walk one day last weekend, and when we returned to the yard, I did my usual leash-release and let her take off for the back corner of the lot, where she goes on the prowl for signs of squirrels.

On this particular day, she actually spotted a squirrel near the base of a small tree along the side of the parking lot, and I was surprised that she was so easily able to tackle it. Then I realized it was just a baby squirrel. God bless Cyprus, because she released it and backed off on command. It also helped that the mother (or daddy) squirrel saw what was happening and was coming in for the rescue, which gave Cyprus something else to focus on briefly.


The little rascal was screeching something fierce and his little chest was thumping pretty rapidly, but he did not seem to be injured in any way. I grabbed him up while Cyprus snapped a few quick pictures and was going to get him back over closer to where the mother and the nest were, but he was having none of it. With some pee on my hands and a good scratch on my wrist, I figured I'd best let him find his own way.


No comments: