Search RoHo Blog

Friday, February 4, 2011

Bricks Take a Tumble

At the end of December, I blogged about the worries I had regarding the south chimney, and the fragile state that it appeared to be in. More indications that this is becoming a more pressing issue have manifested themselves...


I was looking for something in the upstairs room where the TV and DVD player are now, which is the upper left room when you're standing in front of the house. I heard an unholy commotion like something really big and rather important was falling or collapsing but I couldn't find anything upstairs to tip me off to the source of that racket. Downstairs, though, I found dust billowing from the direction of the fireplace in the south parlour, and when I removed the cover, I found that several bricks had come tumbling down from up high in the chimney.


In this picture, you can't see the bricks, because they fell down behind the back wall of this fireplace, but you can see how much dust and mortar debris came spilling out once I pulled the cover off.

No comments: