Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Meal No. 595: Easy Swiss Chicken Breasts


Last night I reached for one of my old recipes, shared by my dear friend Cindy Coulson (who I'll get to see in Tennessee this weekend). It's one she made back in the days when she and her husband Harley lived in Winchester, VA, a place I regularly visited with another good friend (Lynne Sponaugle, as she was known then) when I was at UVA.

It's a simple one: chicken breasts with a slice of Swiss cheese on top, covered by a mix of cream of chicken soup and wine, and then topped with crushed stuffing mix and drizzled with melted butter. I made more stuffing and a pot of white shoepeg corn to go along with it. It all came out of the oven just at the moment David Caldwell called from the bus station to say he'd arrived in Winston-Salem, so instead of his having to walk, I was able to pick him up and serve him up a hot meal, which seemed desperately needed. There was even the good fortune of more of the homemade chocolate frostie ice cream waiting in the freezer, to top it all off.


No comments: