Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Cro-Roe-Nuts


Oh, those damnable blue slips in the quarantine task jar! Last Saturday, with the morning coffee drawing time, a third blue in a row was pulled from the random collection of chores and tasks! This time it compelled me to try making cronuts for the first time, that magical hybrid of croissant and fried doughnut created by Soho pastry chef extraordinaire, Dominique Ansel.


But I did not try to follow his recipe and I sure didn't want this to be a three-day ordeal. Instead, I came across a two-part video on allrecipes.com that made it all doable in a day.


In the vein of the remarkable yeast glazed doughnuts of hometown favorite Krispy Kreme, but with a satisfying crispy crunch on the outside and airy tender croissant-style dough within, and dipped in a perfect helping of vanilla glaze...these took the place of dinner that night.


As for the doughnut holes? I popped them into a pile of cinnamon sugar when I took them out of the fryer. Unfortunately, while they were still pretty darned good, that helped them to hold on to too much of their external grease.




"How To Make Cronuts, Part I," from Chef John of FoodWishes.com. Posted to allrecipes.com.

"How To Make Cronuts, Part II," from Chef John of FoodWishes.com. Posted to allrecipes.com.

2 comments: