Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

A Simple Man's Simple Brick-Laying


Although I bought the Roediger House in 2003, I did essentially no new landscaping for the house until the Spring of 2012. I'm reasonably pleased with my progress and with getting the yard to the place where it is mostly maintenance and refreshing instead of intensive development and planting. That means with my extra time at home even in the heat of this current summer, I'm getting to tackle some of what we might call lower-profile projects: things that really need to be done but that either won't make a splash or won't be noticed at all.

The picture at the top of this post is from 2012, when I had just built up a planter extension for the front wall as it curves around to accommodate the sizable parking area. On the left of that shot, you can see along the porch a white access door with grass bordered by lariope. This next photo is from the following winter:


Because I've now built up planting beds on either side of that door (bee balm and rosemary to the left, and azaleas to the right), I left myself with a clover-filled damp pad at that door. One task of late May was to prep, level at a slight draining angle, and then lay bricks to create a pad in front of it.


Looks like a simple job, but it took four days, and I was very happy with the outcome.


I also like that all the bricks I used were reclaimed from both the demolition of the rear retaining wall and the rehab of the south chimney.

No comments: