Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Meal No. 2138: Deviled Chicken Thighs


After a full and active day last Wednesday, it was nice to sit down to a great dinner spread, consisting of deviled chicken thighs, broccoli with cheese sauce, sliced avocado, and spinach salad with more of my homemade blue cheese dressing.


This is a gorgeous weather week in Winston-Salem, a nice change after the long stretch of rainy days, stormy afternoons, overcast skies, and general dreariness that persisted almost interrupted for three weeks. After a vigorous morning walk with Sumner, and a break for morning coffee, I was able to get in the yard for a good part of the day, cutting the grass and spreading mulch and weeding. I finally got around to putting up the hummingbird feeder, its placement this summer inspired by the example of Pat and John Lloyd. This downtown lot is not really a hummingbird haven but I did have one buzz past me once some time ago.


The unexpected twist of the late afternoon was to join in with my neighbor in taking hold of a stray pit bull that was wondering up and down Spring Street. He had a collar and a harness but no tags or identification on him.


It was easy to leash him but not so easy to get his slimy drool off my pants. I checked first with my vet, who told me the best thing was to let the Forsyth Humane Society scan him for a chip and then hold him so the owner can reclaim him.



"Deviled Chicken Drumsticks," by Ian Knauer. In Gourmet, August 2008.

Broccoli with Cheese Sauce, based on "Keto Cheese Sauce," by Martina Slajerova. [Published 23 December 2014]

No comments: