Search RoHo Blog

Friday, May 15, 2015

Meal No. 1280: Linton Hopkins's Bucatini Carbonara


When it comes to pasta carbonara at the Roediger House, I most often make the version that my friend Monie Lawrence trained me to make as a simple weeknight meal. Sometimes, though, I like to go for the slightly fancier, silkier version, that I almost always reserve my bucatini pasta for. Instead of making a roux and adding cream and grated parmesan, with onion and bacon, the Hopkins take relies on diced pancetta, shallots, and egg yolks with the cream. Either way, I'm happy when it's time to chow down on it. With some friends over last night and no chance to make it to the grocery store, this was what I put on the dinner table.

After clean-up, once the guests had departed, I got inspired to make a batch of cookies. I always enjoy making cookies but haven't been getting around to it as much lately. Hence, my stockpile of various brown sugars is starting to dry out a bit and I'm having to employ tried-and-true helpful hints to restore them to usefulness.


It took a good dose of dark brown sugar to allow me to return a second time to the amazing flavors found in chai-spiced oatmeal cookies. The source recipe calls for caramel bits, which I found overly chewy, so I substituted cinnamon morsels this time and was still quite pleased at the result.



"Bucatini Carbonara," by Linton Hopkins. In Food & Wine, July 2009.

"Caramel-Chai Oatmeal Cookies," in Cuisine at Home, September/October 2013, p. 47.

No comments: