Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Meal No. 784: Herb-Roasted Whole Chicken with Savory Pan Gravy

A roast chicken on Sunday may sound like the most regular and common thing in the world to the rest of you, but it's a pretty novel proposition in the Roediger House kitchen. In fact, I'm hard-pressed to recall a time that I have ever just done a simple, plain roasted chicken.

Not that this one was completely plain but it was reasonably simple. As my sister Allison departed today, she presented me with a terrific new cookbook from the folks at the famous Asheville eatery, Tupelo Honey Cafe. (Update: I was in Asheville a couple of days after this but found the line too long for a solo diner to partake of the THC dinner offerings, as noted by the picture to the right. I will have to wait till another time to see for myself what everybody who's been there just raves about.)

Anyway: I had bought a couple of whole chickens thinking they might find their way to a Chicken on a Throne destiny on the kamado grill. Instead, I used one of them once I saw the recipe for Herb-Roasted Whole Chicken with Savory Pan Gravy in the Tupelo Honey Cafe Cookbook.

Wow. That's what I have to say about this meal. Wow.







"Herb-Roasted Whole Chicken with Savory Pan Gravy," in Tupelo Honey Cafe: Spirited Recipes from Asheville's New South Kitchen, by Elizabeth Sims with Chef Brian Sonoskus. Kansas City: Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC (2011), p. 136-137.

No comments: