Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Meal No. 762: Chicken on a Throne


With special guests Robin and Ben coming for dinner tonight, I thought it would be good to get back to a bit of kamado grill smoking.


I stayed up late last night and prepped a fresh batch of Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub and coated these two fine chickens with it. Into a bag they went to sit overnight in the fridge. This afternoon I mixed up the onion/garlic/cider vinegar/spices/beer mixture in two Pepsi Throwback cans, and in the picture above, you can see those birds perched nicely on their thrones.


Four hours later, they looked mighty fine as they finished up their smoking time. They also look like they're at a disco.


Between Ben and me, we managed to get them carved down. I had already prepped Big Bob Gibson's Alabama White Sauce, and I added to it a batch of Old-Fashioned High-Cholesterol Great-Tasting Southern Sauce (which starts with six tablespoons of bacon drippings...don't ask). I'd made twice-baked potatoes and added a mess of green beans to result in rather a tasty dinner:


I worked on Robin first, and then she passed the word on to Ben, to get them to realize they could take a night off from their summer no-sugar pact. Especially since I'd gone to an awful lot of trouble to make a special version of Peach Nehi ice cream. I mean, seriously:




"Chicken on a Throne" (p. 171-173), "Old-Fashioned High-Cholesterol Great-Tasting Southern Sauce" (p. 351), and "Alabama Great White Sauce" (p. 362). In Smoke & Spice, by Cheryl and Bill Jamison. Boston: The Harvard Common Press, 2003.

"Stuffed Potatoes: Good/Better/Best," a recipe clipping saved from Cuisine at Home, Issue 60 [December 2006], p. 23-25.

"Peach Nehi Ice Cream," by Dedi of Shelby, NC. Recipe found online.


Kamado Meal #9

No comments: