Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Meal No. 770: Grilled Leg of Lamb Dijon

This was one of those meals that makes me feel I went all out, although it definitely had elements that were easier than they might have looked. The plan was to have a full table of seven people, as part of a Roediger House game night, so in addition to the meal itself, I figured I'd best have some snackables ready for pre-dinner munchies:

Homemade Palmetto-Style Pimento Cheese

Barbara Huneycutt's Creamy Stuffed Eggs

Butterflied American leg of lamb was on sale at the Harris Teeter, and I needed to make something good for a group. That led me to a recipe that was on the same page and right next to the Margarita Pork Tenderloin I made recently. It's called Grilled Leg of Lamb Dijon, and it was a take on lamb that was new to me but I can't imagine it could ever get old: it was darned delicious.

I fired up the kamado grill mid-afternoon:


By this point, I already had the slow-cooker scalloped potatoes going. The lamb had sat overnight in a dijon marinade/paste that was deliciously goopy. You should have smelled it smoking and grilling this afternoon, too.


Eh, so I let it go a little long and the meat was more cooked that it should have been. But the flavor was awesome (and I'd made a delicious port demi-glace sauce to go with it):



My mission was not complete, though, because I had high hopes that I could put people into a food coma. The crowning touches were the amazing lemon custard ice cream, a family favorite shared by Donna Whitley-Smith, and sour cream pound cake:



Kamado Meal #12



"South Carolina-Style Pimento Cheese." Recipe worked out by me, based on Sharon's Palmetto Pimento Cheese.

"Creamy Stuffed Eggs," a recipe shared with me by Barbara Huneycutt of Crozet, VA.

"Grilled Leg of Lamb Dijon," in The All-New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook, compiled and edited by Julie Fisher Gunter. Birmingham: Oxmoor House (2006), p. 254.

"Sauce Poivrade alla Port," from More Than Gourmet.

"Slow-Cooker Scalloped Potatoes," by Kelly Price. In Cook's Country, January 2011, p. 6.

"Layered Green Bean Casserole," shared with me by my sister Allison Jones Holden of Rossville, IN (December 2001).

"Sour Cream Pound Cake," from McCormick. Found online and on the flavoring's packaging box.

"Lemon Custard Ice Cream," from Willa Whitley and shared by Donna Whitley-Smith.

No comments: