Search RoHo Blog

Monday, May 21, 2012

Breakfast for a Crowd


Yesterday the wildlife of the yard was particularly hungry. The quantity in the feeders dropped quickly as the weekend progressed, and when I got up Sunday morning, I found that there was a whole crowd of various creatures under the big feeder that I can see from my old man's chair in front of the fireplace. The last couple of days, I've noticed that the usual yard count of squirrels has increased from my one regular guy (nicknamed "Rocky") to four squirrels.

And while it may not be obvious from the picture above what all the creatures are, let me show you a close-up of a newcomer:


Cyprus has for weeks and weeks been absolutely nuts about the heatpump units and the broken-up end of the rear retaining wall. I guess now I know it's not just because she was on the trail of moles, voles, or shrews. My wall, and more so the crumbling wall of the neighboring property behind me, has become an inviting rat dwelling.




Oh: did I mention that there are at least two rats?


Fortunately, today was the time for my quarterly pest control treatment, and the technician has placed bait and baited traps out in strategic locations in and around the retaining wall. I hope I do not have a rat problem much longer, and I especially do not want to still have a rat problem once the weather turns cold again.

No comments: