Search RoHo Blog

Friday, August 19, 2011

Meal No. 341: Beer-Baked Irish Beef


My trial 10 days ago of an Irish pot roast was acceptable but not great. So I gave it another try tonight, using a different recipe. This one was on the money and earned kind commentary from the folks around the table.

I'm not sure, but this might be my first time of buying a package of "stew beef" for a recipe. This was a reason for a quick run into Sam's Club earlier in the day (again, thank goodness for city livin'). The interesting ingredients, to me, are the allspice and the bottle of Guinness Extra Stout that go into it.


I also decided it was high time I tried to make mooshy potatoes swimming in oodles of butter, just like we'd get at Ron's Barn in Coats on a Friday or Saturday night. I came mighty close, I think.


I was trying to choose between making more cathead biscuits or Granny Wilson's honey cornbread recipe (kindly shared by good friend Linda Dunlap); the intended serving time made me choose the faster of the two...cornbread.


Although there was a slight delay when the bag of cornmeal got away from me and crashed to the floor:


There was also delicious dessert, courtesy of Jen Martin and Jen Cora, using Martinique's grandmother's recipe for strawberry pie:


I think Jen Cora's expression here captures how happy that pie made all of us:




"Beer-Baked Irish Beef," from The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever by Beatrice Ojakangas, 2008, p. 218.

No comments: