Search RoHo Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

Meal No. 324: Pork Chops with Bourbon-Apple Pan Sauce

Lately, I've been making bone-in blade-cut pork chops using a braising method, and the fall-off-the-bone tenderness and terrific flavor has been a real winner.


Tonight, I wanted pork chops but I was needing a simpler recipe, because I was scheduled to teach all day here in Winston-Salem. What jumped out at me was an idea found on the 30-Minute Supper recipe cards insert in one of last fall's issues of Cook's Country. It meant I needed to add a jar of apple butter to my last shopping list, since it's not one of my staples. And I also had to decide it was going to be all right to make a pan sauce with apple butter.

Turns out it's a great idea. The flavors all merged and melded and it was a sumptious, glazy boost of good flavor to top the tender pan-cooked chops with. I added a squash casserole, using the recipe on the cans of Margaret Holmes's squash and Vidalia onions, and also a batch of cornbread stuffing with onion and sage.



"Pork Chops with Bourbon-Apple Pan Sauce," from center insert recipe cards in Cook's Country, October/November 2010.

Squash Casserole recipe from Margaret Holmes southern canned vegetables.

No comments: