Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Meal No. 214: Chicken Tikka Masala

When I was teaching at Wake Forest, I had a graduate student named Laymarr Marshall, who now teaches at Mount Tabor High School and is also head varsity football coach. He rang me up a couple of days ago and pointed out that it had been too long since we'd caught up. So you know how my mind works: I figure that's another good reason to whip up a tasty dish for dinner. I didn't reach back too far, because it was only earlier this month that I tried out this recipe for chicken tikka masala for the first time, and I thought it was a serious hard-core keeper.

Laymarr was not the only former graduate student from Wake Forest to be present for tonight's dinner. Also on hand was the Roediger House regular guest Bradley Phillis who, like Laymarr, continues teaching in Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools. Bradley is on faculty at the Atkins High School Complex. Both of these guys are reasons for me to miss working with the program I ran at Wake Forest, although there are a lot more reasons for me not to miss WFU.

I think I had always figured I would continue the tradition of various meals and events for the local social studies family, including program alumni and the teachers in the local high schools we worked with, even after I moved on from Wake, but that's not come to pass. Instead, it's evenings like tonight when I can catch up with those former students, and that makes it a good evening.


Along with brown basmati rice in the rice cooker and some cumin-coriander roasted cauliflower, this evening's chicken tikka masala turned out to be another fine feast on Spring Street.

No comments: