Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Lips Were Seared

They're feeling a bit better today, but I did have a small cooking calamity last night when I was working on the mac-n-cheese. When I was whipping up the roux that's the starter for that delicious side dish, I was using a dutch oven, and I don't think I'm used to the heat that it works up and how much it affects whatever utensil I'm doing the stirring with.

So when I finished browning the butter and flour and it had begun to thicken, I was ready to abandon my stirring fork because I was going to be adding spices and needed a whisk from then on. Without even thinking about it, I put that fork in my mouth to get the roux that was clinging to it.

And you could actually HEAR the sizzle. It burned off the top layers of skin inside my lips, something fierce. I do not know what in the world I was thinking.

It looks and feels better today, but I was not a particularly skillful coffee drinker this morning at the airport while I waited for my flight.

3 comments:

brumley451 said...

does that make you rue the roux?

Ben W said...

Did the same thing tonight roasting marshmallows over the stove. Heard this is a long ride. Don’t really feel anything right now. Not sure if that’s a good thing or bad thing.

Ray said...

'Tis a deep dive into the archives for this one, and yet the pain and agony of this captured moment resonates clearly even still! Happy to know you can still populate your journey with wayward ventures!