Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Meal No. 1981: Smothered Pork Chops with Onion-Thyme Gravy


Friday was my final day of work leading into the Christmas holidays, and it was a great day spent with the instructional leadership team at John F. Kennedy High School here in Winston-Salem. With company coming that evening and not having caught up (or even unpacked!) from my work week in Virginia Beach, I grabbed a package from the grocery fresh meat case and came home and made some delicious smothered pork chops with onion-thyme gravy. Traditional Campbell's green bean casserole went well with them.


My cooktop has been acting up lately and that night I could not get it to sustain a heating element for me. Fortunately, I had recently on a whim gotten a Paragon smart-cooking induction single cooktop that stepped into the breach nicely.


I was in Virginia Beach from Sunday through Thursday evening, working with the admin teams from four different high schools there, but I rushed home to begin a short overnight visit from one of my very best friends in the world: Jason Miller. Jason was an RA and then my assistant hall director when I was a graduate hall director while getting my master's at Wake Forest University. It's been too long since we saw one another and we did our best to maximize the time to catch-up before he had to leave to pick up his daughter from college in Lynchburg.



"Smothered Pork Chops," by Erika Bruce. In Cook's Country, April/May 2011, p. 22-23.

"Campbell's Classic Green Bean Casserole," from Campbell's Kitchen. Recipe available online.

No comments: