Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

January's Unchronicled Dessert Run-Down

I'm a bit behind on posting some of the sweet treats prepared at the Roediger House over the last few weeks, so here's the catch-up blog entry...

Guinness Chocolate Cheesecake. The chili cook-off held on Martin Luther King Jr. Day in January was a great time, and a Guinness chocolate cheesecake was one of two desserts that I made for it. This was a rich, deeply chocolate concoction that could push one's tastebuds to the limit. Not sure I'll reach for it again anytime soon: I think I've got better cheesecake recipes. But I'd wanted to try it and the chili cook-off was a good impetus for doing so.


Willa Whitley's Lemon Custard Ice Cream. Thanks to the generosity of Donna Whitley-Smith, I am in greedy possession of the magical recipe for excellent frozen custard that comes from the Whitley family treasure trove. This was a sweet accompaniment and a tongue-soothing treat at the chili cook-off:



Red Velvet Cake. Near the end of January, with the peanut butter bacon burgers meal, there was also celebratory cake, since it was a birthday gathering. I have had mixed results with this recipe but when it's good, it's freakin' awesome.




Hershey's Deep Dark Chocolate Cake. I used to make this particular cake all the time, especially for the students in my teacher education classes at Wake Forest University. It's been quite a while but I found myself drawn to it over the weekend and, while it dipped badly in the middle, it was still a chocolate-y wonder.








"Lemon Custard Ice Cream," from Willa Whitley and shared by Donna Whitley-Smith.

"Guinness Chocolate Cheesecake," from Kevin Lynch at ClosetCooking.com.

"Grand Finale Dessert: Red Velvet Cake," from Cuisine at Home, Issue 90 (December 2011), p. 48-51. This recipe has also been posted online.

"Deep Dark Chocolate Cake" and "One-Bowl Buttercream Frosting," 100 Years of Hershey's Favorites, Lincolnwood, IL: Publications International (1994), p. 18-19.

1 comment:

hootowlkarma said...

That there dip in the top layer of the chocolate cake is the perfect place for a little extra buttercream icing to hide. I've made that very recipe a dozen or more times, and it's probably my most requested b'day cake still. Julie insists a single batch of the icing is sufficient, but I'm compelled to make at least a batch and a half every time. Makes for some seriously good bowl licking if nothing else... Thanks for sharing!