Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Red Velvet Cake


Since the holidays at the end of 2011, I've had an issue of Cuisine at Home that was taunting me with a delicious-looking red velvet cake recipe. Over the weekend, I had a chance to try it out.

Some findings:


1) It's too tall for any of my cake carriers/containers. I had to cover it using an upside-down brining container.


2) I'd like the cake layers to have a bit more punch, a bit more flavor.


3) This frosting from Paula Deen does not work for me, at all. There's too much of something in its flavor and consistency, so that's almost lard-ish. I have better cream cheese frosting recipes that I'll reach for next time.



"Red Velvet Cake," from Cuisine at Home, Issue 90, December 2011, p. 48-51.

Paula Deen's Cream Cheese Frosting, found online at foodnetwork.com.

No comments: