Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

When Your Back's Up to the Wall



Let me introduce you to the rear wall of the property, which "stands" only about 20 feet behind the kitchen addition. I have to put "stands" in quotation marks because it is decreasingly certain that it will remain standing, especially since in the years of neglect of the house (from the 1980s into the 1990s), trash trees managed to get a toe-hold in the space between my wall and the retaining wall of the property behind--and above--me.



So I think I've got a real problem on my hands. These rascals are not particularly sturdy and they are particularly pernicious. Their survival instinct is on hyperdrive and it's tough as heck to kill them. And the roots! My gosh, the roots are fast-moving and invasive and ultimately destructive.



By the time it's all said and done, I'm going to have one heckuva time wrestling control of all this back from them, and the fact that I've let another seven years pass without reining them in is not really helping.



And not only will I need to pay someone to remove the trees, but there will also be a sizable outlay in getting the wall restored or, perhaps, replaced. Ka-Ching!

No comments: