Search RoHo Blog

Friday, November 23, 2018

Meal No. 2243: Baked Million Dollar Spaghetti Casserole


On the Saturday night before Thanksgiving, there were seven of us around the dinner table. I served up a new recipe for baked spaghetti. For years and years, I've depended upon a delicious recipe for this that I got from my long-time friend Cindy Coulson, but I was up for trying something new and a bit goopier than the usual.

I wanted to walk a fine line: to up the cheesiness and ooze without the dish becoming a spaghetti'd version of lasagna. I wanted it to retain some distinctness and, in the end, I reckon it mostly succeeded. It seems the unanimous verdict was that this was a fine dish, worthy of repeating.

We had salad with it, with homemade Caesar dressing and homemade croutons.

The chill that invaded Winston that week was slow to abate, and I uncharacteristically made an evening fire on Friday night...normally I make 'em an all-day affair.

Fire No. 44

And then, although Saturday was a beautiful and sunny late fall day, I still started the morning with a fire since (1) it was 33°F when I woke up and (2) I like having a fire. With coffee in one hand and a good book to read in the other, and with Sumner settled in as an oversized lapdog, it was a picture-perfect Saturday morning.

Fire No. 45



Recipe based primarily on "Baked Million Dollar Spaghetti" and "Quick and Easy Marinara Sauce," by Sabrina of Dinner, Then Dessert. [Published 06 May 2016]

"Easy Lemon Caesar Salad Dressing," by Kim of lowcarbmaven.com.

"Croutons," by Marg CaymanDesigns on GeniusKitchen.com.

No comments: