Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Signs, Signs, Everywhere a Sign

Regular readers of the blog know that I mean for the Roediger House to be a welcoming place, but it's not a blank check. It's rare, but sometimes panhandlers trounce on up to the front door in order to beg. Run-of-the-mill solicitations really don't seem to occur. I ordered a couple of "No Trespassing" signs quite a while back and just haven't gotten around to putting them up, in part because I needed to be prepared to drill into bricks that are well over a century old. That finally happened earlier this month:


Alas, it was just a few hours too late on that sunny Saturday morning to discourage a visit from a family of Jehovah's Witnesses. I doubt it would have made a difference in stopping them, but maybe the next time those possessed of a missionary zeal march up the stairs to the house, they'll at least have been duly informed that I don't really welcome their presence.


There is also the occasional problem of people parking in the lot and I knew I should at least attempt to inform folks that this is a private driveway...so these signs are also now up on both sides of the parking entrance, just up from the curb and sidewalk:


That's unlikely to be much of a deterrent to whoever let himself into my truck and helped himself to all the change in the ashtray and in the armrest, sometime in mid-June. I must've left the vehicle unlocked at a most inopportune time...and there was no security footage of the activity because I'd been parking the vehicles over in the shady corner while it's been so hot lately:


No comments: