Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Meal No. 1500: Beef Tenderloin with Bernaise & Madeira Sauces and Madeira Vegetable & Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes

Since the completion of the major addition and renovation project back in 2009, there have now been 1,500 meals made in the Roediger House kitchen. Yes: that's the numbering system for all the blog posts that speak to what I made for dinner (or lunch or breakfast). It's a function of my OCD, I guess, but once I said "Here's the first meal" back in May 2009, and then "Here's the second meal," well, it just hasn't stopped.


Anyway: one thousand five hundred meals in just under seven years, and it seemed worth celebrating. So I reached back into the archives to a meal I've only made once, and it was quite a production (and occurred 250 meals ago!). It comes to us from the second Tupelo Honey Cafe cookbook that my sister Allison gave me, and it features a pan-seared, oven-finished cut of beef tenderloin nestled on a pile of madeira vegetable and goat cheese mashed potatoes, topped with crispy vidalia fried onions and bernaise and madeira sauces.


What did you have that night? It may have been good, whatever it was, but it wasn't this. It wasn't this at all.



"Beef Tenderloin with Bernaise & Madeira Sauces and Madeira Vegetable & Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes," by Elisabeth Sims with Chef Brian Sonoskus. In Tupelo Honey Cafe: New Southern Flavors from the Blue Ridge Mountains. Kansas City: Andrews McMeel Publishing (2014), p. 156-158.

No comments: