Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Meal No. 1431: Adult Grilled Cheese

Back in my teaching days, when I lived in Raleigh, a favorite restaurant was The Rathskeller on Hillsborough Street. They had amazing food and terrific specials and they were in walking distance from the downtown apartment I shared with my childhood chum, Jay Brown. My favorite regular dishes were the Mojack City Chicken and Creamy Basil Chicken. If I wanted a change of pace, I'd order the Five-Cheese Grilled Cheese.


I've wanted to replicate it here at the house sometime, and last Thursday night was my first inspiration to do so. With cave-aged cheddar, smoked gouda, gruyere, and feta, along with sliced fresh tomato and thick-cut cherrywood smoked bacon, all on top of a split English muffin, it was darned good.

I could not resist another slice of mocha buttercream chocolate espresso cake, with some of the remaining homemade vanilla ice cream:


No comments: