Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Meal No. 942: BBQ Chicken Soup

I put not one but two chickens on thrones a couple of nights ago for Meal No. 940, when I fired up the kamado grill for the first time in quite a while. This was not only because they come in packages of two at Costco but also because I wanted enough cooked chicken to whip up a batch of BBQ chicken soup. That's what I did for the evening meal last night.

This is a recipe my sister Allison turned me on to, and it is quite the crowd-pleaser. It is a cacophonous symphony of delicious flavors with a bit of heat thrown in, and it's unlike any other soup or stew I've ever had.





I used Linda Dunlap's recipe for "Granny Wilson's Honey Wheat Cornbread," which went over quite well with the crew on hand:


Since several people were coming over, including college suitemate and good friend Ronnie Hall, I tried to gussy up the meal with a Swiss and bacon dip appetizer:



I also tried out two new dessert recipes:

Yogurt Sherbet, or what we call around here: EuroYogurt

Duke's Chocolate Cake

Also Known As: Mayonnaise Cake
(Also: I'm not going to be known for pretty cakes.)

I went with a cream cheese icing, just because.



"Chicken on a Throne," from Smoke & Spice by Cheryl and Bill Jamison. Boston: The Harvard Common Press (2003), p. 171-173.

"BBQ Chicken Soup," from the folks at the Big Green Egg website.

"Granny Wilson's Cornbread," a recipe shared with me by Linda B. Dunlap.

"Swiss and Bacon Dip," from Rachael Ray. Available online at the Food Network website.

"Lucques' Yogurt Sherbet," from Lucques Restaurant in Los Angeles. Recipe printed in the Los Angeles Times.

"Duke's Chocolate Cake," from the Duke's Mayonnaise website. Adapted version from Deb Lindsey published in the Washington Post.

No comments: