Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Finally, Some Snow

No Snow Event. Last week, a winter weather system moved through the area and, while much of the action was promised for east of here because of the moisture pattern, Winston-Salem was at least to get anywhere from a dusting up to an inch. We had a bit of rain but the forecast was for it to switch to a wintry mix and then into some snow.

Right at the time it was to begin, instead I began to see a completely clear sky and even the traces of a lovely golden sunset bouncing off the buildings across the street (now that I have a new view to the west).


And while I would like to have had the rare treat of some snow, this sunset did give me a nice gloaming reflection on the downtown skyline:


We weren't completely robbed, though, because apparently something fell overnight, according to the evidence left on my car windshield:


Firewood Replenishment. With the many cold days thus far this winter, I've really blazed through my firewood stack. I reordered from Chris's Tree Service because the previous load he brought me in November 2012 was flawless and awesome. He brought my resupply this past Saturday.



I'm afraid it's not as good a load, although there's plenty of it. It's not cut as uniformly but there are also some huge pieces, which I've gone to the trouble to split myself. It's also pretty darned green. I think Chris has definitely had a busy winter so I bet he's struggling to keep up with demand. That's likely to slow me down for fires the remainder of this winter but I'll hope it cures well for the ones that follow.

Today was good for a fire, for sure:

Fire No. 28

And Then, Snow. Because of all that oversized and green wood, I had to work hard to keep this fire going, which I did all day long. That's because overnight and this morning, we got snow at last in Winston-Salem:




And Cyprus loved it:






No comments: