Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Meal No. 765: Garlicky Baked Shrimp


Fourteen straight days in a row of rain so far this summer, and tonight's plan for grilling shrimp was aborted when another one of those thundershowers and downpours came through right when I needed to cook dinner. So I did a quick web search for advice about baking the shrimp instead, and I came up with this evening's garlicky concoction. In addition, even though I'd just had them last night, creamy grits seemed to be the perfect accompaniment again. I also whipped up some more creamy blue cheese dressing to put atop hearts of romaine.

Here's my fun little side note in prepping the meal: I needed a quarter-cup of unsalted butter and had a 200g bar of Elle & Vire French butter but that's not a full cup, darn it. The package also lacks helpful cutting guides/lines for we silly New Worlders who continue to use a traditional and non-Metric measurement system. My first estimate at where to cut it, aiming for somewhere around 57g, came out spot on the money. This little happiness in my kitchen was picture-worthy to me and completely uninteresting to you.





"Garlicky Baked Shrimp," by Kate Merker and Sara Quessenberry, April 2010. Found online at RealSimple.com.

Luquire Family Stone Ground Grits, milled in Greenwood, SC, which is where my father was when he died in 1981, interestingly enough.

"Rich and Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing," from Cook's Illustrated. Published May 1, 1999.

No comments: