Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Meal No. 642: Patty Melts

It's been a mighty long stretch of being on the road, and I was very very glad to get home tonight. I was greeted by a cautiously happy Cyprus and a cadre of Roediger House regulars who were already inside and upstairs watching some television series they had wanted to catch up on.

That meant I got busy in the kitchen because there was a ready and built-in excuse to put some dinner on the table. On my way into town I'd grabbed a loaf of insufficiently-sturdy sourdough loaf bread, some cheese slices, a few sweet onions, and some ground sirloin. I set out butter to soften for the toasted bread and whipped up the classic burger sauce (recipe below) so it could set up and the flavors meld. After I got changed, I cooked the thin-sliced onions, buttered and toasted the sourdough slices, rolled the ground sirloin as thin as I could get it between sheets of wax paper, and I made us these:


The burger patties ended up smaller than I'd anticipated and the bread was sort of chewy, but the flavors had us all smacking our lips with glad hearts.



Classic Burger Sauce
from Cook's Illustrated, July-August 2008, p. 11.

4 T mayonnaise
2 T ketchup
1 tsp sweet pickle relish
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.

No comments: