Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Landscaping Update: The Hard Stuff

I'd say my labors during the month of May were highly productive, and I'm pretty happy about how much I got done with the yard, even if I'm no where near through. One measure of my productivity was the fact that I've already had to get a second dump-truck load of topsoil...here's all that was left by May 23rd:


So here's the second pile-o-dirt of the season (which as of today I've already made a pretty good dent in):


A particularly back-breaking aspect of these labors has been relocation of good sod in order to create planting areas in the front yard:


In this case, I wasn't moving the sod very far: just a few feet away to cover over the area left after the removal and stump-grinding of the large diseased tree in the front yard a year ago:


Part of what made that sod removal hard is the roots from that old tree that still remain underground and spread throughout that area.

I've found that any digging I do on the south side of the house, especially if it is near the old driveway or where the current parking area is, puts me into some very, very hard-packed clay and some very, very hard-packed gravel. (And also some black plastic sheeting and a layer of sand.) In order to plant some dwarf crepe myrtles beside the short walkway from the parking lot to the steps to the front porch, I had to break out the pickaxe and an extra set of back muscles:




Finally, I have lost one of my new shrubs: one of the rhododendron that I'd planted along the south side of the property, where I've also planted 13 azaleas and two other rhododendron. But I've already replaced it.


No comments: