Search RoHo Blog

Monday, May 14, 2012

Meal No. 501: Cuban Sandwiches with Cilantro Lime Mayonnaise

Faithful blog readers know that my menu choices at night are frequently driven by whatever happens to be in the list of specials this week at my local Harris Teeter. On occasion, though, I shop at one of the local Lowe's Foods, when they are closer to my other errands. (Lowe's is based here in Winston-Salem but has stores across the state and into South Carolina and Virginia.) The special on Boston Butt pork shoulders at Lowe's set me up to try out another recipe tonight, which was good because seven of us bellied up to the counter when dinner was called.


I've had this recipe a while and it always seemed tempting; I just usually made barbecue if I had a Boston Butt on hand. It's a crockpot meal, which was good today because a crew of us took in the IMAX Dark Shadows this afternoon (a great idea given all the rain that's been dumped on Winston-Salem the last couple of days--no yardwork!) And it's still barbecue-like because it is slow-cooked pork with a nice mix of spices. This is kicked up with lime and cilantro and cumin, and the sandwiches we made are dressed up with a lime-cilantro mayonnaise.



The other new recipe I tried this evening was for a mushy southern potato salad. I've never actually made potato salad before, and this was an excellent first run, methinks.


Dessert was a whole new fresh batch of key lime frozen yogurt, a repeat of the dessert from just last night. Guess it was that good. Actually, seriously: it was that good.



"Cuban Sandwiches with Cilantro-Lime Mayonnaise," from Pillsbury Classic Cookbooks.

"Eggy Potato Salad with Pickles," by Jenny Rosenstratch & Andy Ward and Inspired by Sally Bell's Kitchen in Richmond, VA. In Bon Appétit, May 2012, p. 36.

No comments: